• RSS

Monday, September 24, 2012

Fingerprints on my Soul


I always like the part in a friendship when you know some of your friend’s stories, and could even tell them.  That and things you have done together make up a shared world.  I want my friends to change me, remake parts of me.  I want to be different, having known them.  I like to collect up and think abut all the fingerprint marks people have left on my brain. 
I was just thinking the other day about music.  I listen to my music nearly as constantly as I can get away with.  Used to be more difficult, with walkmen, and batteries and then CD players, but with the advent of mp3 players, I never need listen to something like “Big Green Tractor” ever again.  My music protects me from Wal-Mart, ( I get sensory overload fro Wal-Mart, and then shop stupid, both to get out faster, and because my buying resistance is low) and intensely country music playing situations ( I love in Kentucky, it’s a locational hazard in public places here).  My music keeps me motivated and cheerful, or relaxed, with just the choice between playlists.  I have playlists for everything.  I play my mp3 player through a patch cord, or through one of the fake tape devices in almost all the vehicles I am in regularly. 
       The choice of music I have to improve the atmosphere, I can also trace back to those friend fingerprints.  The more songs you infect me with, the secretly more I will like you, I can’t help it, you have made it so by overwriting parts of my brain.  I am now going to take up space to sing the praises of my friends, and the music choices they have gifted me with.  In college, I collected up Clannad, Kate Bush, and Jethro Tull from Jo, by way of Kat, and John.  Jo and John would even make you cool paper tape cases Jo from pretty paper, and John would cleverly hand draw the band logo.  MMmmmm that’s love!!  I got Dead Can Dance (some of my FAVORITE religious music) Killing Joke, and the More than Complete Imaginos from Mark.  I never really liked the Doors until James brainwashed me with it from endlessly playing it over at his apartment.  From Julie, I got the completely addictive Niyaz, playing loud in my headphone now as I type.  Ken left Budos band….
If I haven’t mentioned you and what you left me, its probably just because of my slippery memory, and not meant as a slight, or to hedge your bet, feel free to suggest music you think I might like in the comments.  I can’t ever have too much music, or too brain fingerprints from friends!

3 comments:

Wanderer said...

Music can be a look inside someone's soul. I know I couldn't make it without mine, it has become such a huge part of my life. I love to share it with friends (even if they don't often love it all :P)

Kylara said...

I agree, songs are windows in time. There are songs that take me back to the very first time I heard them. Others have been re-imprinted because I heard them at a particularly charged emotional moment.

Tk said...

I'm totally Offended that the greatness of Oomph Was not included in this post. You Ma'am are fired.