• RSS

Thursday, March 31, 2011

Internet: the modern oral tradition

When I first started my path, almost everything I read suggested that each witch should maintain and keep a book, in which they wrote down what they were learning and doing, and that it should be hand written. It was also suggested that a special name should be taken, one used for rituals and amongst others who shared your beliefs, and in fact, that your real and legal name should not be used or written down, to maintain the secrecy of your practice.

The roots of both of these traditions are to protect those who do not wish their activities known. Throughout history, and even into the modern age, people with different views have been persecuted for them. Even though, by many counts, we are a very tolerant society, many people still choose to keep their beliefs secret to avoid trouble with family, friends or work.

But even with these cautions, information was shared. If you met with another who had knowledge that you did not, you would copy it into your own book. Then, if you met someone else who was interested, they could copy the information into their book. Like a web, the knowledge spread outward and all could benefit from it.

Today we have this great tool at our disposal: the internet. A web that reaches across the globe, to people you might never have the opportunity to meet face to face. A way to share information in a way previously unimagined. The internet allows us to be as anonymous as we like, and to freely talk about things we might not otherwise discuss.

But even in an oral tradition, sourcing is important. If an author doesn't wish to use a legal name, but prefers a pen name (a time honored literary tradition of it's own!), then by all means, source it to the name they prefer. An author who consistently produces quality, well researched and accurate information will become credible, where as those who don't will not be often quoted.

Posting something on the internet, be it on a blog, a forum or just having a conversation in a chat room is releasing the information to the world. If your words have weight, they will probably be quoted, and this is a good thing! It's not about being famous or being recognized, but about knowing that your words were so powerful that they moved someone enough that they not only remembered them but wanted to share them.

It saddens me, to think of all the valuable information that has been lost. And today, when we have the world at our fingertips, we shouldn't hoard what we know, we should spread the seeds of knowledge to the wind that they may fly to new lands and grow.

7 comments:

Greyer Notions said...

I have often thought of the strange tradition of magickal names, not the focus of your post, but your post made me think of it again. Much like the tradition of magickal tools, items that you only use in a magickal setting. My own thoughts are that I would rather use my name everywhere, in places both magickal and mundane, and use my tools everywhere, my knife is my knife is my knife. My knife enforces my will in all worlds, opening the Veil, as easily as it opens my Amazon boxes.
Back to your post -A Good turn of phrase Will be quoted, and I likewise think we should share information before it is lost.

Ascillian said...

I'm kind of two minds on the magical names and tools. I have magical tools that are used only for magical things (but some are pretty specific, so using them for other things would be hard). But I have no qualms about using ordinary things as tools in workings as well. I was kind of raised on the concept of 'special tools, names and clothes help you reach a magical mindset', and it's stuck with me, although I don't really have to rely on such anymore, it's a feeling of comfort like going 'home' to relatives houses even though you have your own home now.

felawynn said...

I wonder if part of that separation between known and unknown names is a way of compartmentalization. A way of allowing the other persona to be free of the clutter of everyday stresses and to retain the wonder of the mysterious. There is a time and place for everything, but I believe that some of that, the spiritual, should be part of our everyday life. Like Patty said, a knife is a knife is a knife- regardless of what you do with it.

Greyer Notions said...

Ascillian- I especially like your idea of special tools and traditions you have been taught, similar to going home to a relative's house. Very nicely put! Probably why I don't have the concept of special tools, as I am self taught. Makes me long for relative's houses' :)

Greyer Notions said...

I thought of another thing your excellent post made me think of. I wish that I HAD kept a diary of what I was learning, from the beginning. I wonder how many people have managed to do that, keep a consistent record of their works, and information? Lately, I keep my research on the computer, and backed up on a portable hard drive, of pieces of information I've discovered from various places, and want to keep tucked away, like squirrels with nuts. I also keep a notebook of book notes, when I buy a book to look at it, but then discover I don't need the whole book, and just want bits of it.

Kylara said...

My record isn't complete at all LOL I definitely don't keep a constant record of things I have tried or practices I have started. I tried for a while (and tried the dream journal thing also) and found it took me too long to write everything down every time.

I kind of envy people who have wonderful records like that, but I also wonder how much use it ends up being....how often they refer back to old notes about old practices.

Anonymous said...

Rivalry is the life of trade, and the death of the trader.