• RSS

Monday, May 2, 2011

Ecology-magick-recycling items-Goodwill

Part One
I’d like to talk for a bit about a few topics that are interrelated in my mind, and  important to me and my view of the Universe- Magick, Recycling items, and acquiring as much as possible of my needs, for both magickal and mundane purposes, 2nd hand.
      When I first read about magick, reading the books available to me at the time, (70’s) at the library, (A.E.Waite’s “Book of Black Magic”, De Givry’s “Illustrated Anthology of Sorcery, Magic and Alchemy”, and “the Modern Witch’s Spellbook” by Sarah Lyddon Morrison) I was lead to believe that magick was complicated, dangerous, expensive, gruesome, loud, noisy, and probably smelly.  This Magick was filled with activities such as killing a kid goat at a specific hour of the day, to make your own parchment for talismans, or having jewelers make you rings of a particular metal set with particular stones to affect various circumstances.  Most of the activity also centered on summoning something way bigger than your head, which was probably cranky about being summoned, for purposes that they probably didn’t want to do anyway, such as finding buried treasure.  Kind of sad and pathetic activities, I’m sure for Dukes and Princes of Hell, who probably would much rather be out corrupting entire countries, or something.  Since I was on a $10.00 a week allowance, and living upstairs of my parents at the time, I thought better of most of it, and scaled back most of my experiments at the time.  So much had to be acquired New, Unused and Unhaggled for, in the way of supplies, and actually done not through your own power, your own skills, but through the attempted forcing of another being to work for you.
     I then got to college, found religion in the form of Witchcraft, and found also the earlier folk magicks.  This other paradigm of thought revealed a value and reliance in me, learnable skills, and cooperative, not coercive relationships with the rest of the Universe.  Both Kitchen witchery and Hoodoo stress the fact that one set of tools can be used for both ‘magickal’ and ‘mundane’ ends.  A broom sweeping your floor clean can also be used next to dispense a floor wash to spiritually cleanse a room.  Your knife cuts vegetables for dinner, and also cuts the circle between the worlds.  The mundane, your everyday life, is as sacred and as close to the Gods as being inside the circle.  This beauty and specialness is everywhere!  Handmade art with ‘flaws’ (variations) is More sacred and alive with energy than the machine identical ‘flawless’ pieces of goods sold at  Wal-Mart, inert, plastic-inexpensive, but at a high price.
     When I was younger, society in general taught that desired things were new and shiny.  I fell for it. The only good presents were the ones that came in a layer of wrapping paper (ripped off, flung, and then thrown away) covering up the cardboard and plastic packaging, sometimes in multiple layers.  Things people gave you that came to you without the protective stuff carapace was obviously covered with cooties from strangers, un-clean, and USED.  People who loved you bought you new stuff, the more the better, as proof of their love.  I had partially challenged that thought myself, with my greed for books.  Used Bookstores helped me get my fix of more books, as did the Library (guess I thought these venues sterilized the books when they got them in or something).  Meeting John pretty much smashed the rest of those thoughts flat.  He introduced me to whole new worlds of inexpensive-stuff 2nd hand possibilities- Flea Markets, Swap Meets, Goodwill, Dumpster Diving, Trash picking (especially good at the end of a semester on campus) trading stuff with friends…Yes, some stuff was grimy when acquired, but almost Anything can be cleaned.  Vinegar, or Lysol, or Rubbing alcohol, or a good trip through the washer will cure most funk.  And if it can’t be cured, THEN you throw it away.  You didn’t spend much, if anything on it, so no risk, really.  Books can be a little trickier, as some sad books get mold, just look at them a little closer before committing to giving them a home.

Look for Part Two on Sunday!

2 comments:

Kylara said...

I don't think I read any of the same books when I started, but I definitely encountered some of the same concepts. I remember it being explained as the difference between high and low magic...and guess which one was which :P

Even now, among some occultists, there is a bit of a 'down the nose' attitude at low or folk magic...the down to earth homey, everyday stuff compared to the fancy shiny Ceremonial stuff that requires entire rooms full of very specific gear and ingredients.

I definitely agree that everything can be cleansed, and I think when picking up things for magical purposes this is important to remember. Things can pick up energy from past use, and especially when acquiring things from unknown sources, it is a good thing to give it a solid cleansing, both physical and spiritual, before putting it to use.

But I love the character of used items. Shiny new things have their own allure, but there is something just as special about that wonderfully used thing that you can just feel the care someone had for it before you.

felawynn said...

Well written Patty! I had the opposite upbringing. Used was good in my household. Of course that meant that new stuff was unusual and exciting. I still go with used whenever possible though. And Cleansing is a must. Recycling is so important, not just because it's the "green" thing to do. (So politically correct now!) It's a point of respect for ourselves and our mother, our home. It's also, usually, cheaper and often better quality. And there is so much variation to be had from it! I'd say that 75% of my bead collection (of which have have way too much!) is actually from found pieces. Sometimes I take them apart as soon as I get them home, sometime's not. I always cleanse them. Soapy water and sage. Yay! Very little in my house matches. And if you're done with something, passing it on is just good sense. Again, I think cleansing is a good idea then too.

Magic wise, why coerce something if you don't want to be coerced yourself? Isn't one of the first rules what you send out comes back threefold?